- Liberal Democrat leader, Tim Farron MP, will launch John Leech’s bid to return to Manchester council on Monday.
- John Leech, the former MP for Manchester Withington, is standing for Didsbury West.
Tim Farron, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, will launch John Leech’s campaign on Monday 28th March, at Didsbury Lounge, 7pm.
John Leech was the MP for Manchester Withington for 10 years, after he was elected in 2005 with the biggest swing in the country.
John Leech is fighting to return to Manchester council after his election commitment, saying: “I promised not to give up on the residents of Manchester Withington, and I'm not going to. I will continue to fight for south Manchester as I always have done. I’m not going anywhere.”
Tim Farron MP slammed John Leech’s loss last year as “an absolute injustice” and said “John was one of the hardest working MPs I’ve ever known, his commitment to Manchester is genuinely inspiring. I’m absolutely delighted to be launching the campaign to bring his much needed voice back to the council.”
John Leech is standing for Didsbury West ward which the Liberal Democrats lost out in 2014 by just 162 votes. Canvassing data shows the gap is narrowing fast and is set to be one of the most fiercely contested seats in the country.
Currently Labour has 96 out of 96 councillors in the town hall and John Leech hopes to lead the voice of opposition.
The former ‘MP of the Year’ award winner* said: “Manchester residents appreciate the hard work that we do around the area, and they know Manchester deserves better. We offer a fresh and strong voice for residents on an often complacent council.”
He added that “the party has had a rough set of results in recent years, but the tide is turning and I’m confident Manchester is ready for a more balanced council.”
email@example.com | 07745839916
- *John Leech won the Patchwork Liberal Democrat MP of the Year award for “tireless work with minority and under-represented groups in his constituency.”
- John Leech’s 2016 campaign launch takes place at Didsbury Lounge on Barlow Moor Road from 7pm on Monday 28th March 2016.
- Full copies of John Leech and Tim Farron’s speeches will be available at the launch.