Metrolink's landmark second city crossing is stark reminder of what is at risk with Brexit, say Remain Campaigners
- Metrolink's ‘big-bang’ expansion will come into operation this weekend as the new Second City Crossing opens on Sunday 26th February.
- Prominent Remain campaigners have warned projects like this - funded by the EU - are at serious risk.
- Mayoral candidate pledges to fight against Brexit "every step of the way."
- Uni of Manchester has highest burglaries outside of London.
- Report shows more than 800 burglaries in one year.
Council's backtrack on Princess Road speed limit reduction is an "enormous betrayal of local people."
- Council backtracks on promise to reduce speed limit on deathtrap road.
- Only one out of six local councillors turned up to Executive meeting.
- Leech: "People's lives are at risk, what more reason does this council need to reduce the speed limit?!"
'Alan Turing Law' welcomed by pardon architect and campaign leader: "This is a hugely historic, proud and deeply emotional day"
- 'Alan Turing Law' to pardon 75,000+ people criminally convicted of homosexuality finally passed today.
- Architect of Alan Turing's pardon, John Leech, has welcomed the 'historic moment'.
- Leech led campaign to pardon Turing and 75,000+ others criminally convicted of homosexuality.
- Leech: "utterly disgusting and ultimately just embarrassing" that the convictions were upheld as long as they were.
- Report by Centre for Cities shows more than half of Manchester exports go to EU.
- Prominent Remain campaigners call on Theresa May to guarantee access to single market to protect city's prosperity.
- Manchester & Salford Councils alone are set to lose out on more than £3m through New Homes Bonus & Adult Social Care Grant changes.
- Vulnerable and elderly people are most at risk as Adult Social Care is hacked away.
- Leech: "Without an effective opposition the Conservatives are just slashing away."
Student exchange in Greater Manchester must be protected from Brexit as thousands are set to lose out
- Greater Manchester's top Liberal Democrats have called on the Government to protect the student exchange programme.
- Mayoral candidate Jane Brophy: "I will fight against this brutal Brexit agenda every single step of the way."
- Former MP John Leech: "We are about to rob a whole generation of its best opportunities."
Manchester Council accused of social cleansing as it refuses to guarantee affordable homes in a development of up to 2,500
- One of the city's own councillors has accused the council of a 'Labour-style social cleansing' after refusing to guarantee any affordable homes.
- Up to 2,500 new houses will be built but no guarantee that any will be affordable.
- Leech: "To build 2,500 new unaffordable houses is an insult to the 14,000 people currently on waiting lists across the city."
Below are John Leech's questions to council for Wednesday 25th January 2017. You can watch the meeting live here.Read more
Former Manchester MP declares war on dating apps after uncovering 'distressing' rise in related sexual assaults
- Serious sexual assault including rape related to two main dating apps has dramatically increased.
- Former Manchester MP launches campaign calling on Tinder and Grindr to display safety notices.
- John Leech: "Tinder and Grindr should not be let off the hook over such a serious and shocking lapse in care to their users."